August 20, 2007

Where did summer go?




My sister and I with our cousin, Carole


August 20th. How can it be? It seems that all summer long we have been waiting for summer to come and so far it's been a never-ending game of hide and seek. I feel sorry for those who booked their camping holidays expecting warm, dry weather and sunny days for lounging on the beach, and instead encountered rain, and hail, and wind.

For us it has been a summer for doing the jobs which have piled up on us during our busyness of life. We began with the rebuilding of our back sundeck and though it seemed to take forever it is now to the stage where we can use it again. We still have to put down the permanent decking material and stain all the wood, and next spring we will replace the temporary overhead cover with plastic roof panels but for now it is protected so Kelly will be able to BBQ without donning his gumboots and umbrella!

Earlier this month I enjoyed a lovely break with a visit to my sister's home. She is such a wonderful hostess and she spoiled me rotten with delicious meals, lunch and dinner out, going to the movies and strolling through the open air market. We also had a chance to visit with my very special cousin who's home is in the extended care section of the hospital and with several other family members. My sister's hubby is a great guy - easy to please and so gracious in allowing us girls to come and go as we pleased and sit up late watching movies and talking. He never complained even when he had to eat his meals in solitude (that's it! he probably liked the peace and quiet when we were out). Our 3 days went all too quickly.

Once home our attention turned to painting the house. Kelly had tried to get it all finished while I was away as a surprise for me but sadly the weather did not cooperate for him so together we went at it full force as soon as it was dry enough. What he did get done in between rain showers while I was away was all the high up ladder and roof top work and knowing that he was home alone hanging off the roof make me feel extremely uneasy. Had he fallen and injured himself no one would have known and he could very well have spent the day or night lying in a heap on the ground. So as much as I've grumbled about the weather, I recognize that God is in control and I am thankful for the rain which prevented him from doing more than he did.

With the completion of our wood splitting for the year we are both utterly exhausted. We rented a splitter and worked like mad for 2 days straight - through sun and rain. It's done now, all the wood in our stockpile is split and piled to finish drying, ready for the winter months ahead. We are achy, sore and tired but it's a very good feeling to have it done.

A few more areas of the house need a second coat of stain and the flashing and gutters still need paint but for the most part the critical stuff is behind us now. This week , weather permitting, we should be able to get the fence stained and then take a breather.

It has been a very intense yet rewarding summer and though I am usually somewhat reluctant to let go of the season I am now beginning to look forward to the beauty and quiet crispness which autumn brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment