August 2, 2007

Making Yogurt



We have been enjoying the taste and quality of homemade yogurt for a while now but I must confess I was getting a bit weary of the process.

Yogurt can be made successfully with canning jars and a heating pad. However, our heating pad shuts off automatically so I had to remember to constantly check on it. Several times I got busy outside and when I came indoors found it was off. The yogurt was always good but I was getting stressed out over having to keep such a close watch on it. So, after 25+ years I have taken the plunge and bought another yogurt maker.

What freedom! What liberation! I am no longer a slave to automatic shutoff. This little gadget simply plugs in and keeps on going until I choose to turn it off (what power!) whether it be 3 hours, or 6, or even 10. The yogurt is still tasty, and the 7 little jars make a total of 42 ounces. I only wish the jars were bigger. They hold 6 ounces each but you'd never think so as they look like over sized baby food jars. I kind of liked using 2 - 16 ounce canning jars, it made me feel like I had more product (I know, it's just psychological), but also two big jars was a lot less fiddly than 7 little.

Ah well, I guess there are trade-offs in having convenience and I think I can live with this one.

Happy August and bon appetite,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment