June 16, 2007

Father's Day 2007

My father, Stanley, 1914 - 2003

Dad left us very suddenly on August 11, 2003. We were shocked and deeply saddened.

The last conversation Dad and I had was about peanut butter cookies for he had come across a recipe on the back of the peanut butter jar which required only 3 ingredients. He was so excited about cooking up a batch that he wanted me to have the recipe too. Sadly, I never found out if he did, and whenever the topic of peanut butter cookies arises I am reminded of our conversation that day and his enthusiasm for such a humble treat.

My dad taught us to be honest and to have integrity. He taught us to keep our word and stick with it when the going gets tough. He taught us that people always matter more than things. And he taught us to appreciate the world around us and the beauty of nature.

He was a loving and generous man who is remembered for his service in his community, his love and compassion for people, his steadfast devotion to his wife of 66 years and their children, and his life-long passion for gardening.

He continues to live on in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment