May 21, 2007

My mother-in-law is the Thrift Queen. She deserves the title because she was recycling long before reclycling became 'fashionable'. Nothing gets wasted around her house because she delights in turning trash into treasure. She has made school desks into coffee tables, table legs into tea trolleys, and tomato juice cans into footstools or what she calls 'bollies'. No fancy schmancy cookbook covers for her, she just slides her book inside a clean bread bag and voila, her pages stay splat free! Even her plastic grocery bags get snipped up and turned into rugs.

When putting away the leftovers after supper today I found myself employing another tactic which my dear MIL taught me long ago as a way to save on plastic wrap. USE BREAD BAGS! Instead of using a clingy wrap (which often won't cover the plate properly anyway) slide the whole thing into a clean bag, twist the end and tuck it under. If the bag isn't wide enough simply slit it up one side and you'll have a little tent which will cover almost any plate. This works great for big items like a roasted chicken or ham, etc. and doesn't cost a penny :-) (it's the scotch in my blood).

If any of you have frugal tips to share I'd love to hear them and post them.

Cheers, Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment