May 5, 2007

Me. [with dripping paintbrush in hand] Hello?
She. Hello!
Me. [a little slower - not sure who it is] Hel...lo.
She. [with a little giggle] Hello!
Me. Can I help you?
She. [chuckling] Have you got the tea on?
Me. Pardon me?
She. [laughing harder] Have you got the tea on?
Me. Tea??? Um...ah...who might you be looking for?
She. We just thought we'd come for tea.
Me. Ummm...okay, but who are you looking for?
She. [totally cracked up by now] You're not my daughter, are you.
Me. [laughing] Ah...I don't think so.
She. Oh, I am so very sorry! My daughter does this to me all the time. She changes her voice when I call her to make me think I've got the wrong number. Oh, I sure hope I didn't take you away from anything important.
Me. [laughing hard, phone in one hand, paintbrush in the other] Oh, no, that's okay. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who has does things like that!
She. [after saying "what? "to someone in the background] Oh, Hank says where do you live? We'll come for tea anyway.
Me. I'll put the kettle on.

And so goes the hilarious phone conversation with a complete stranger this past week. I do love the comical events in life that pop up so unexpectedly and leave us chuckling for hours or even weeks later.

No comments:

Post a Comment