September 14, 2007

Soap making day



Shredded soap from the base I made last week. Looks like grated cheese.

Into the mold and set aside to cool.

First batch cut and trimmed.

Second batch prior to trimming.

At last, after a busy summer I have finally managed to get some soap made. It is always a rewarding experience for me and I am forever fascinated at the way oil and water, which we all have learned simply do not mix, come together to produce a hard, cleansing, bar of bubbly soap.

Today's efforts yielded 12 bars, each weighing around 4 ounces, and because there were 3 separate batches I have three different scents. The first one is tangerine & spice and smells like Christmas! The second batch is one of my all time favourites - rose with a touch of baby powder, and the third is cranberry orange spice which is truly spicy and absolutely mouthwatering.

I have been invited to place some soap bars in our local art gallery so I will be testing these ones out over the next few days on various family members and if I get a thumbs up some of them just might make their way into town. I love to experiment and do my own thing so I am always playing around with the formulas and getting different results which may not go over well if I had steady customers wanting a consistent supply. But the art gallery would allow me the freedom to produce something unique each time meaning it would remain an adventure rather that become a mundane job.

3 comments:

  1. What fun! I would love to learn how to make soap. Do you have any pointers on how to get started?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deborah, Soapmaking is indeed fun and once you get the hang of it it's hard to quit!
    I have some very helpful sites listed under my 'Favourite Soapmaking Sites' on the right side of my blog. Just scroll down and you'll see them. Especially helpful are Essence Supply and Kathy Millar, and reading through their material will give you a good idea as to what is involved. I began after taking a hands on soapmaking class way back in 1994 and have been soaping ever since.
    If you need more help just ask me.
    Happy soaping,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deborah - I remembered that the Walton Feeds site has a link to several videos which show the whole procedure. Scroll down their page a bit and look under links.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete